His Research topics include life history and reproductive biology of sharks, groupers, drum, trout, croakers, snook, tarpon, gobies, various other estuarine fishes, ecology of seagrass and mangrove fish assemblages, sound production in fish/dolphins, descriptions of new species captured with manned submarines (over 350 sub dives 1,000-3,000 ft) on deep sea expeditions, West Indies, Bahama Islands, Central America, Cuba, Galapagos Is.1982-1998.
Chief scientist on Expeditions by Discovery Channel, National Geographic, NASA/U.S. Navy, and Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. From 1987 to present over twenty-five national and international 1-3 hr television documentary programs, National Geographic Society, Discovery, Audubon, Animal Planet, New Zealand TV and FOX, two NPR radio programs, “Living on Earth” series. Grant also wrote a popular fisheries science column for Florida Sportsman Magazine, “Sportsman’s Biologist.”
Estuarine, Coastal and Ocean Science, Inc. = ECOS 2004- Present, President, Senior Scientist. NASA/Dynamac Corp. Kennedy Space Center 5 yrs (1999-2004) marine research and technology development program. Link Project, NOAA-NASA collaboration in space and ocean technology development.
– Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution (Fort Pierce) research scientist 27 yrs. (1971-1998)
-Chief scientist on seven international deep sea expeditions, using JSL submarines in the tropical western Atlantic, West Indies, Bahama Islands, Cuba and Central America, 1978 to 1998.. Co-PI, Galapagos Islands expedition 1995.
– Principal investigator and co-principal investigator on various fish studies in estuaries around Florida (Gulf and Atlantic) and Georgia-Carolinas.
– 25+ Discovery, National Geographic, New Zealand network and NPR educational programs, still aired on national and international networks.
– Active in regional aquatic conservation and fishery management programs including Everglades Restoration, Oculina Coral reef MPAs and Indian River Lagoon, Tampa Bay habitat management
– Adjunct and Joint Appointment Professor, 1972- 2014 adjunct, associate prof., professor at: Fla.Institute Technology, Fla.Atlantic Univ, Univ.South Fla., Univ. Miami, Friei Universtat Berlin, Indian River State College, Nova SE. Univ., Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution, having graduated 39 graduate students in marine sciences, 35 Master of Science, 3 Ph.D.
Graduate: BS 1969, MS 1972, Univ. West Florida; Ph.D. 1988, Florida Institute of Technology.